Re: Large Frame Proposal

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM, <K.Morgan@iaea.org> wrote:

> Hi Yoav-
>
> On Thursday,10 July 2014 12:47, ynir.ietf@gmail.com wrote:
> > Is that for every frame, or just when a large frame size has been
> advertised?
> > I guess the former, but then we're increasing every frame by 2 bytes for
> the
> > same of those 0.02% No?
>
> Our proposal (Greg et al) already had the extra 2 bytes from the
> beginning, see the first e-mail (from Greg) in this thread [1].  I simply
> extended the reserved bits from 1 to 8 to appease concerns by Roberto and
> others that too many bits is too big of a foot gun, but simultaneously
> allows future revs of the protocol to *easily* extend the frame length
> field if necessary.

If reserved bits are for future use for larger frame size, why not reserve
16 bits for now?
It makes a foot gun even less likely​.  I heard that many said that 16 bits
length is enough for today.

With 16 bits available (2 bits extra from h2-13's 14 bits), we can say good
bye to CONTINUATION.  This solves #549 and #550 (and possibly #551 for <
64KB, but I think it is enough).  Extra 16 reserved bits is a possible
solution of #553.

Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa