Re: Large Frames, Continuations, Flow Control, and changing HPACK

From: Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:01:20 -0700
To: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>
Cc: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:

> To be clear, the proposal is:
>
> 1) Remove the reference set from HPACK (use "Linear-H")

+1; Kazu's data convinces me entirely.

> 2) Increase the frame size to 16-bits

+1 to increase the size.  I would support going larger; the artificial
limits never provided value in SPDY nor H2.  I liked Greg's proposal
generally.

> 3) Allow interleaving of HEADERS frames
> 4) Remove the "\0" separator hack.

+1; these were hacks unresolved due to the global compressor.

> Coupling this with my earlier proposal to add a "SYN_STREAM" header
> would also allow us to:
>
> 5) Remove CONTINUATION frames entirely

+1; this makes things much simpler.

> 6) Move END_* flags to the last HEADERS frame

+1; makes things simpler.

> 7) Flow control HEADERS frames

+1;  this is just simpler too.

Mike