Re: Large Frame Proposal

Mark,

On Jul 8, 2014, at 12:10 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> Michael,
>

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 12:06 pm, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark,

>>> That's a design decision that was made a long time ago. To reconsider it, I need more than vague concerns that amount to "I don't like it"; I need concrete problems that it causes.
>>
>> For printing 16k frames/chunks cause a 2x performance drop.  And for video streaming you'll likely see similar issues (and stuttering) due to the volume of data involved. (see my other post on the subject)
>
> Out of curiosity - are your use cases *actually* using HTTP/2, or are you assuming some mapping of IPP to HTTP/2?

I'm applying our experience with HTTP/1.1 chunk sizes to HTTP/2; as I mentioned in my original (more detailed) response yesterday, there are no HTTP/2-based IPP printers (yet), but that is one of the projects I am working on right now... Since IPP is just another POST-based RPC scheme (using the IPP binary message encoding vs. XML or JSON) the only real change here is to using HTTP/2 in place of HTTP/1.1 as the transport.

The original message was in response to claims that smaller frame sizes will not adversely affect performance, but I provided experience with running code that we saw issues in HTTP/1.1 with smaller chunks and that a modest increase in chunk size provided  a dramatic performance improvement for all printers.  There is no reason to expect any different experience in HTTP/2, as the HTTP/2 frame overhead (8 bytes currently) is generally the same as the HTTP/1.1 chunking overhead ("3fff\r\n" + "\r\n" = 8 bytes)  with similar CPU processing requirements.