Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7231 (4031)

On 2014-07-01 08:59, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> True, but what would be a bigger concern is the case where draconic error
>> handling results in a *loss* of security (and that's not the case here,
>> right?).
>
> I could imagine this being the cause of a crucial subresource not
> working. Cannot immediately think of an attack though.
>

>> It would be awesome if the people working on Servo would have a look at
>> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/wiki/HeaderFieldTypes> and try
>> to come up with some kind of library that makes it easier to create parsers
>> for the notoriously hard to parse yet similar header fields (C-C, WWW-A,
>> C-D, C-T ...)
>
> It would be, but what we should be aiming for is not requiring
> additional work as launching a new client is already very costly.

Yes, optimally we already had this framework, both as a spec and as code.

Violent agreement over here.

What I said is that *if* somebody already is rewriting everything (due
to a brand-new language), it would make a lot of sense to do it right
this time, instead of coming up with ~10 customer parsers that are all
buggy (such as the ones in classical Mozilla).

Best regards, Julian