Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:06:55 +0900
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
CC: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Gabriel Montenegro <Gabriel.Montenegro@microsoft.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 2014/03/22 08:30, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2014, at 3:00 am, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes. The issue addressed by Gabriel's draft seems to be in the scope
>> of HTML, not HTTP.
>>
>> And even if some kind of mechanism of declaring query encoding becomes
>> official, any intermediary relying on it will have a bad time.
>
> Reading this thread, I was starting to think the same thing.
>
> In particular, this seems like something that needs to be coupled to *where* the link originates; e.g., a browsers’ behaviour for a link from an address bar is likely to be different than that from an ‘a’ tag, and even again different from a JavaScript-generated link.

Mark, are you saying that we need to label URIs in HTTP requests with
whether they originated from the address bar or where else? I think that
would be going too far, but I'm not sure that's what you meant.

> Gabriel, have you brought it up over at the W3C or in the WHATWG?

The I18N Core WG has shortly looked at it last week. But I don't think
that they have made up their mind.

Regards,   Martin.