Re: Support for gzip at the server #424

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:30:31 -0700
To: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
On 14 March 2014 11:21, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Compressed uploads isn't a new feature, but it has poor interop.
> This would fix the interop problem.

This is true, but I'm trying my best to ensure that we don't expand
the scope of HTTP/2.  It's one thing to fix the problem, but it's
another thing to tie the fate of HTTP/2 to the fix.

Maybe we can say MUST support gzip, in combination with a MUST NOT use
it + unless you know it's HTTP/2 to the origin server OR you can
somehow signal uncompressed content-length, using some
as-yet-unspecified method.