Re: debug field in GOAWAY

On 21 February 2014 15:52, Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi> wrote:
> Well, there are a lot of uses of GOAWAY(PROTOCOL_ERROR). It could be
> helpful to know which was violated when debugging an implementation.

Agreed, but I don't believe that a free-text field is the way to do
that. If we really care about making it easy to debug PROTOCOL_ERRORs
we should be adding subcodes or increasing the number of error codes.
I would be much more enthusiastically in favour of error subcodes than
anything else.

Now, if we want to develop a convention of assigning subcodes to
specific errors and putting them in the debug field, that's an
acceptable thing to do, but if we think that convention is useful why
not codify it?

Anyway, as I said before, I have no objection to keeping the debug
info around, it isn't causing me any problems at all.

Cory