Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:13:28 -0800
To: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 21 February 2014 05:08, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com> wrote:
> I think what the http/2 text means to say is that an "Accept-Encoding: gzip,
> deflate" request header is implicit in every request and the client needs to
> be able to process responses with those encodings.

Yes, that is the implication.  Even if you include "Accept-Encoding:
rot13", you effectively get *either* "Accept-Encoding: rot13,
identity, gzip, deflate" or "Accept-Encoding: rot13, identity, gzip".
This is a change from 1.1, which implies "Accept-Encoding: rot13,
identity" only.

I had inferred the gzip+deflate, but Mark points out that this could
also be interpreted as the latter.  Hence this thread requesting
clarification.

I hope that I'm not completely off-base on this.  No one wants to
remove this entirely and revert to "identity" only, do they?