Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:13:12 +1100
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
The other aspect of this is that HTTP already says:

>    A request without an Accept-Encoding header field implies that the
>    user agent has no preferences regarding content-codings.  Although
>    this allows the server to use any content-coding in a response, it
>    does not imply that the user agent will be able to correctly process
>    all encodings.
>
>    A server tests whether a content-coding for a given representation is
>    acceptable using these rules:
>
>    1.  If no Accept-Encoding field is in the request, any content-coding
>        is considered acceptable by the user agent.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-26#section-5.3.4>

So, what the current text *really* says is that servers can ignore the 'identity' content-encoding when it appears alone in the request.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/