From: willchan@google.com [mailto:willchan@google.com] On Behalf Of William Chan (???)
Sent: February-19-14 7:40 PM
To: Salvatore Loreto
Cc: Peter Lepeska; Paul Hoffman; Patrick McManus; HTTP Working Group; draft-loreto-httpbis-trusted-proxy20@tools.ietf.org; GUS BOURG
Subject: Re: new version trusted-proxy20 draft

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2014, at 7:09 PM, William Chan (³ÂÖDzý) <willchan@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I'd like to see the "secure proxy" proposal separated out from
>> the "trusted proxy" proposal. Let's move forward on the "secure proxy"
>> one. I think the "trusted proxy" proposal is more complicated.
>
> I agree
> and the draft is really proposing a "secure proxy" solution in line
> with your definition of "secure proxy"
>
> indeed we are only proposing the possibility for the proxy to ask
> consent to opt in for http:// resources traffic

Let's be clear, these are two different things. There's "secure proxy"
which is securing the connection between the proxy and the client. I'm supportive of standardizing this. Then there's this opting into allowing http:// resources to be sniffed by signaling it via ALPN.
What's the value proposition here? Why not issue the request to the proxy if you want to let it see it, just like we do for configured HTTP proxies?