Re: HTTP/2 vs. proxies ?

From: <bizzbyster@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:33:42 -0400
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
For encrypted traffic, forward proxies are functionally bypassed and most HTTP/2 traffic will be encrypted. When they do see the rare plaintext attempt to upgrade to HTTP/2, proxies can simply strip the header and prevent it. Therefore proxies have little motivation to implement it. HTTP/2 with mandatory TLS (the Google and Mozilla position) is an attempt to obsolete forward proxies, which explains why lack of proxy support in HTTP/2.0 is not a blocking issue to go to last call.

Thanks,

Peter