Should we discuss "split UAs" in the context of proxies, was: Proxies (includes call for adopting new work item, call for input)

On 2014-06-20 21:25, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Diego R. Lopez <diego@tid.es
> <mailto:diego@tid.es>> wrote:
>
>     So the SPDY proxy and Chrome are a split UA as well? A general proxy
>     run by Microsoft for all IEs would be a split UA?
>

> I don't know the details of how these work, but it seems likely that
> that's the
> case.

Looking at <https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/data-compression>,
Google calls this thingy a proxy themselves.

In any case, whether or not we call the Google Data Compression Proxy or
Opera Turbo a proxy -- they are put into the communications path in
order to address problems that *could* be addressed by a "real" proxy as
well. Thus, I believe we should

- mention them, giving them a name,

and

- think about why browser developers deploy non-standards-based proxies.

Some obvious reasons are:

1) so that they can optimize the protocol (performance, security),

2) to simplify configuration (a check box is simpler to explain than a
proper proxy config UI).

What else?

With respect to 1) - it would be good to understand whether people using
custom protocols today would be willing to switch to something standard
if compares well to their custom approach.

Best regards, Julian