Re: intermediaries, implicit gzip, etags, no-transform

From: Johnny Graettinger <jgraettinger@chromium.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:08:08 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Michael Piatek <piatek@google.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

> If you have specific examples of real sites broken by this behavior,
>>>
>> please let me know and we'll investigate.
>>

> We just (two weeks ago) killed implicit gzip in HTTP/2, so we're pretty
> sure it's a serious problem.

My recollection (and that of the meeting minutes
<https://github.com/httpwg/wg-materials/blob/master/interim-14-06/minutes.md>)
was
that we killed implicit gzip because there are gnarly HTTP/1 spec
conformance issues, and a similar outcome can be achieved if first-mover
HTTP/2 deployments refuse HTTP/2 requests with a-e: identity. I don't
recall it being substantiated as a "serious problem" in that conversation.

cheers,
-johnny