Re: Trusted proxy UI strawman

From: Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 04:11:26 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 23:02:05 +0200, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
wrote:

> The problem isn't that we're not telling users that our proxies can
> snoop and modify.  The problem is that we're allowing a situation
> where our proxies can snoop and modify.

The problem is also that since it has been possible for 20 years a lot of
systems depend on it. TLS has been widely implemented and deployed, but
not widely adopted until recently, which is causing consternation. While
it is mostly services that just stops working (mobile payment, top up
interstitials, etc), some are more subtle, like indiscriminate throttling
of TLS traffic during congestion, since correct QoS can't be assigned
based on DPI.

/Martin Nilsson