Re: explicitly authenticated proxy: new draft

Hi Richard

thanks for reading the draft and providing your comments

On May 26, 2014, at 6:21 AM, Richard Wheeldon (rwheeldo) <rwheeldo@cisco.com> wrote:

> Sorry for taking so long to get round to this. I've finally read through it. Whilst I fully appreciate the effort in trying to address the proxy cases, I'm a little bit concerned that by limiting it in scope to HTTP-only URLs we're still leaving the elephant in the room of organization-based HTTPS Inspection == MITM attack largely unaddressed.

that has been intentionally left out, as it is a subject that touch several protocols not only HTTP
and would require at least IMO some not trivial changes in the Web Architecture as well as in the
https:// URI semantic

> Also, I'd like to see an alteration such that either end-point could accept or reject connections based on TLS properties of the other - which is currently (and still in your draft) impossible.

While I understand the importance of involving both the ends in the scenario like the organisation-based HTTPS Inspection
you have in mind,

I do not think it is necessary in the scenario where the http:// URI traffic is transported over TLS, for several reasons.
The first one is that the http:// URI semantic does not mandate end-to-end security/privacy/confidentiality
so if a WebSite decide to distribute a resource as http:// it implicitly provides consent for that resource to pass true
intermediaries and eventually to be cached

> However, addressing these might put this in the scope of the TLS WG rather than the HTTP one but that's not my call to make.

> It's a bit of a minor point, but I also find the use of "h2c" in a TLS negotiation ugly. Assuming that the c in h2c implies clear text, using it for an encrypted channel seems to be asking for confusion,

my reading is that h2c implies transport of http:// uri traffic that is a slightly different interpretation.
However I am fully aware that different people have different opinion and that the Opportunistic Encryption proposal suggest to use h2
for http:// uri traffic transported over opportunistic unauthenticated TLS

br
Salvatore