Re: Alternative Service Indication

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 22:06:07 -0700
To: William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org>
Cc: Erik Nygren <erik@nygren.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 1 May 2014 18:40, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org> wrote:
> * I'd like to hear more people discussing it. The only participants on the
> last thread that I saw were Martin, Mark, and Erik. Can others chime in?

Yes, please.

> * It's interesting to me that this appears to be mandatory for clients. I
> need to think about this more deeply.

Erik and Mark seem convinced.  Me, less so, but I have to give these
guys some credit for having to deal with issues that I don't think
I've ever seen.

> * Does sending an ALTSVC frame play nice with connection sharing? I haven't
> thought about it too much.

Actually, I think that this is a net win for servers in that regard.
But that alone probably doesn't justify it.  Servers get notified when
clients decide to use alternative services.  I think that the previous
question is the determining one for me.