Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On 10 Dec 2013, at 11:26 am, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> On 12/09/2013 11:59 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> On 9 Dec 2013, at 7:40 pm, Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> Messing with root stores sounds like a TLS MITM rather than
>>> addressing proxies in HTTP since not all such stores are protocol
>>> specific. That would be a significant issue.
>>
>> People are already messing with root stores.
>
> Really? Using some IETF standard protocol?

In the sense that when you start a new job, you're told to go to a certain URL (RFC3986) and download (RFC2616) a new CA cert and install it into your root store, yes...

Of course, other folks are using proprietary protocols to automate that, but I'm not talking about standardising that. I'm talking about what the browsers do with certs once they're in the store.

> We actually have
> one of those (RFC 5934) that afaik has had zero deployment
> even though if I recall correctly, the folks behind that
> did try to interest browser makers. I think they were told
> that the browsers preferred to manage roots as part of their
> s/w update. Has that changed?

Dunno. Browser guys?

>> What I'm talking about
>> below is placing constraints on how they can do that, and making the
>> messing more visible to end users.
>
> And you're going to do that analysis of how that'd impact
> on all other consumers of TLS?

Sure. I'm thinking in terms of changes in browser behaviour (along the lines that some have already explored), not changing TLS, or even certs, necessarily.

> I'll also be interested in how end users will be protected
> from root-insertion attacks from pretty much anywhere if
> this becomes anywhere near common.

Well, at the least, they'd be as protected as they are now...

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/