Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

It's hard to make assertions about the UX without knowing how often
you're going to come up against a proxy that you haven't seen before. We
are willing to cooperate much more with a "first time wizard" than with
something that pops up every few minutes.

The only TLS proxy I ever interact with is on the wired LAN at work. So
if I get a new computer, I have to teach it only once about a proxy (or
install the CA certificate with a MitM proxy). If that's all that is
going to be, we can go with a UI like this

+
| WARNING
|
| You can't access your destination: https://www.facebook.com because a
TLS proxy is installed on this network

| The proxy is authenticated, and is called "sslproxy.example.com".
Working through this proxy would mean:
|  * that all your SSL traffic is decrypted by the proxy
|  * that all your personal information, passwords and credit card
numbers are visible to the proxy
|  * that the proxy could potentially impersonate you for purposes of fraud.
|
| This browser is blocking communications since we cannot ascertain
whether this proxy is harmful or benign.

| TLS proxies can only be used if they are configured. To learn more
about trusted proxies, click here
+

I think users can live with that, and read the help, and go to the
Tools->Options, or Safari->Preferences, or about:config and set that
proxy. This is assuming it's a very rare event. If we get TLS proxies at
ISPs, Coffee shops, airports, hotels, and schools as well as workplaces,
we'll have to figure something else out.