Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

"Don't let anybody kid you. It's all personal, every bit of business."

In this case, I disagree with Martin. This is not a problem that we can
avoid externalizing. Deciding whether a particular proxy is acceptable
to the user of a browser requires information that we don't have. We
don't have it at the IETF, and we don't have it where browsers are
developed.

A browser can learn of the existence of a TLS proxy. This information
may come from an HTTP code, a TLS alert, DHCP, DNS, or whatever other
discovery mechanism we can think of. Whether this proxy is acceptable
depends on so many factors:

  * Who deployed this proxy? (can probably be deduced from name in its
    certificate, but only sort-of) Maybe your workplace is acceptable,
    but the ISP or some other workplace is not.
  * What is it doing with the cleartext traffic?  Caching? Filtering?
    Recording? Looking for terrorism/criminal activity? Assuring a
    non-hostile workplace?  There are no technical ways to know these
    things. You'll have to learn them by social means - ask the IT
    person, ask your boss, require by law all installed proxies to
    disclose what they are doing. None of this can be done by Will or
    his security team.
  * Does the product used for the proxy have a recording function that
    can be used in case of a legal mandate?  If so, what procedural
    mechanism protects the users from someone at IT using it to spy on them?
  * Does the product used for the proxy have a backdoor for
    interception?  Will and his security team don't know. The boss and
    the IT person may not know that either.

It's a complex decision affected by many objective factors and some
subjective attributes of the user. This is not a decision we can make on
behalf of the user. This is very different from reporting on a bad
certificate.

Hopefully, this will be a rare decision that users don't have to face
every day.

Yoav