Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-09.txt

On 5 Dec 2013, at 3:51 pm, Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 12:11:24PM -0800, Martin Thomson wrote:
>> Yes, we apologize for the delay in getting this all ready, but it's out now.
>>
>> - We've expanded the text on 1xx
>
> Is that text on 1xx (specifically on translation behaviour) in accordance
> with HTTP/1.1 specs?
>
> Also, If HTTP/1.1 (only!) client tries to do large streaming PUT/POST
> to possibly auth'd URL, and there is a proxy that does that sort of
> games, things just plain are going to fail.

What do you mean by "that sort of games" here?

> Also, large streaming PUT/POST to possibly auth'd URL can't be done
> without expect-100 nor resorting to heuristic timeouts (framing
> will not help here, apart from being able to send your buffers while
> waiting, and with any sort of faster link, those buffers are going
> to run out, forcing transfer pause).

The server can send a final status code at any time, with HTTP/1 or HTTP/2. The client can choose whether to start sending the body or hold back, both with HTTP/1 and HTTP/2.

> The problem is that there is a point of no return in such thing,
> once past that, any error causes a failure without application being
> to able to adjust the request (e.g. by adding authentication).

Changing the request headers after the header block has terminated isn't possible in HTTP/1 (I mean, theoretically you could add trailers, but AFAIK this is completely un-interoperable).

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/