Re: Trusting proxies (was Re: I revised the pro/contra document)

On 25 November 2013 16:55, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the GOALS section from:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vidya-httpbis-explicit-proxy-ps-00.
> I do think breaking down the conversation in this way is interesting.

I just wanted to highlight the one piece: who gets to negotiate this
end-state, whatever that end state is.  (That's why the paste-dump is
somewhat distracting; there's a lot there that isn't particularly
well-motivated yet in my opinion and a lot that is not relevant to the
immediate discussion.)

I think that your first three points or so mean that you think that
there are three parties involved in this negotiation: user,
intermediary and server.  You use the word "user" instead of client,
which is telling, and probably a conscious choice.

I want to work out whether this is in fact true, in the sense that the
user is making an informed, empowered choice. I haven't been given
information so far that would allow me to say that this is a) an
agreed requirement (in the consensus sense), and b) possible.