Re: Trusting proxies (was Re: I revised the pro/contra document)

Here is the GOALS section from:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vidya-httpbis-explicit-proxy-ps-00.
I do think breaking down the conversation in this way is interesting.

6.2 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vidya-httpbis-explicit-proxy-ps-00#section-6.2>.
 Goals

   These are the goals of a solution aimed at making proxying explicit
   in HTTP.

   o  In the presence of a proxy, users' communications SHOULD at least
      use a channel that is point-to-point encrypted.

   o  Users MUST be able to opt-out of communicating sensitive
      information over a channel which is not end-to-end private.

   o  Content-providers MAY serve certain content only in an end-to-end
      confidential fashion.

   o  Interception proxies MUST be precluded from intercepting secure
      communications between the user and the content-provider.

   o  User-agents and servers MUST know when a transforming proxy is
      interposed in the communications channel.

   o  User-agents MUST be able to detect when content requested with an
      https scheme has been modified by any intermediate entity.

   o  Entities other than the server or user-agent SHOULD still be able
      to provide caching services.

   o  User agents MUST be able to verify that the content is in fact
      served by the content provider.

   o  A set of signaling semantics should exist which allows the
      content-provider and the user to have the appropriate level of
      security or privacy signaled per resource.

   o  Ideally, HTTP URI semantics SHOULD NOT change, but if it does, it
      must remain backwards-compatible.

   o  Configuration and deployment of proxies should be as easy as
      currently used solutions.

   o  Introduction of explicit proxying MUST NOT require a flag day
      upgrade - in other words, it should work with existing client and
      content provider implementations during the transition.