Re: A proposal

Hi

------ Original Message ------
From: "Roberto Peon" <grmocg@gmail.com>
To: "Adrien de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: "James M Snell" <jasnell@gmail.com>; "ietf-http-wg@w3.org"
<ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 18/11/2013 10:01:13 a.m.
Subject: Re: A proposal
>Folks won't rewrite for a new scheme until it is supported by all
>clients, and that won't happen until there is sufficient (and by that I
>mean overwhelming) demand for such.
>... thus, a new scheme won't work as it is firmly in chicken-and-egg
>territory, even in intranets :/
that's basically what I was saying. I don't think a new scheme will
work, and I don't think we need one.

>Happy eyeballs-like strategies either introduce latency or introduce
>complexity, and sometimes both. For fun: which connection do you send
>any particular request down?
Chrome already makes many opportunistic connections that never get a
request.

how woudl making some over 100 be any different.
If you get a connection on both, use port 100 for http/2.0 and drop the
80 one, and remember that.

We could also use DNS (e.g. new record, or new SRV record) to make this
more deterministic.

>HTTP/2 over :443 works just fine even with MITMs, as they will need to
>terminate the TLS channel, which means that they can refuse to
>negotiate HTTP/2 during the ALPN negotiation.

Yes.  I'm saying the more MITMs go out there that don't support 2.0, the
less likely you will get 2.0.  It will be down-graded to 1.1 over TLS.
So claims about deployability of 2.0 over 443 I think should not just be
swallowed without question.

Adrien