Re: Rough minutes

On 10 Nov 2013, at 12:11 pm, Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> wrote:

> I'm stumped about #3 myself.
>
> The literal interpretation is that you follow (or type in) an http:// link, get a response, and in the response learn that this is also available with SSL. So the client attempts to upgrade to SSL, and receives a valid certificate. So, yay!
>
> But in that case, why is the http:// link out there at all, and if anybody types it in, why not immediately redirect to https:// as pretty much all sites using SSL do?

Yes, pretty much. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to follow the discussion to this conclusion in the room, but many conversations I had afterwards reflected this.

> Also, I don't like the implication:  No valid certificate --> No encryption --> No HTTP/2. That's a far higher bar than the goal that's set in the charter.  We could at least give you ADH ciphersuites with no certificates.

The charter itself doesn’t address this topic explicitly; the discussion leading up to it did, of course. What we’re doing now is effectively revisiting that discussion to see where we sit, based upon new information that’s become available.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/