RE: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-http2-extension-frames-00.txt

We discussed some of this at the Bellevue interim….

With regard to HbH vs. E2E:

·         End-to-end on stream zero isn’t possible, since there’s nowhere to forward them

·         On-stream frames mix hop-by-hop and end-to-end

In order to simplify the model, there was general consensus that we could simplify this considerably by reducing it to two states:

·         Stream zero is hop-by-hop, and ignored if not understood

·         On-stream is end-to-end and may be dropped or forwarded

While I’m not inherently opposed to also allowing on-stream hop-by-hop frames since the protocol has them, it does increase the handling complexity some.

With regard to your space partitioning idea, it doesn’t solve type exhaustion.  In fact, it exacerbates it since one type can be exhausted while types still remain in the other half of the space.  If we allow a mix of E2E and HbH frames on-stream, I’d prefer a flag to the MSB approach.

The idea of having a private-use range for use during development followed by registration and a shift to IANA-assigned values is an option, but given that some of our numbers tend to broadly deploy things that are still under active development, that complicates both the transition from the unassigned to assigned versions and the ability of extensions to coexist.