Re: [tsvwg] The List (of application-layer desired features)

On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect that Yuchung meant 'widely deployed and available', when he says 'always'. That should certainly be true for TCP.
That is definitely true for TCP.
However, why do you need an alternate solution to be "widely deployed". Can't it
be deployed within the browser?
For me it makes sense to require "availability" and "having a sufficient level of connectivity".

> Personally, I think that UDP encapsulated stuff has a fighting chance. Deployment is a matter of addressing any new features and protocol technical issues of the current non end-to-end internet, and sticking a binary on participating machines.
> This is a reasonably bounded problem, thus, has a fighting chance.
>
> I suspect that, without kernel support for interpacket delay measurement and interpacket gap enforcement, any such protocols will do worse than they would with such support, but hopefully that is about enhancement and not required to make something new work well.
This sounds to me like a performance optimisation. I guess this might be one feature
of a larger set of features which improve the overall performance. However, the
connectivity must be there at all. My expectation is that anything running over
UDP might not have the same level of connectivity, but it should be acceptable.

Best regards
Michael