Re: Expect: + Upgrade: = ...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:29:19 +0200 (CEST)
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Martin Thomson wrote:

>> The effect seems to risk a little more data waste in the HTTP+upgrade case.
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking that for https: URLs it's easy.  ALPN means that there is
> no probing.  And you get the option to use flow control.  In fact, that's
> actually much nicer.

Yes I agree that the https method of deciding protocol is nicer and less
problematic. But I forsee a future where people will use the same operations
like today but only enable http2, and then the URL will remain as-is which
often means http://.

> For http: URLs, it's a little trickier.  You might do a HEAD request for the
> upgrade request, followed by a POST after the upgrade completes.  That's
> round trips still, and if the upgrade fails, it's even worse.  Though, I'll
> note that it's still the same speed in the success case as the https: URL
> case ...

I've already been burned in the past trying to do HEAD when a POST is asked
for. There are unfortunately too many servers out there that accept POST but
refuse HEAD for the same URI so it isn't a way I would like to go either...

But again, I don't think this is a big problem.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se