Re: Mandatory encryption *is* theater

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Salvatore Loreto <
salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com> wrote:

>  On 8/25/13 10:18 PM, Roberto Peon wrote:
>
>  We've seen that the network delays bytes on some ports because (we
> assume) of inspecting proxies, even when the data is incomprehensible to
> the proxy.
>
> maybe I am naif but the delay can be just because the proxies (lets just
> talk of HTTP here) expect HTTP traffic and they get confuse when they see
> something else

Oh it was worse that that :) Put correct HTTP over port 80 and it often
won't end up at the other side because you used a portion of the spec that
is not often used.

>  If the bytes are merely signed then the bytes are visible and
> modification is still performed-- the modification becomes time-domain,
> e.g. dropping/delaying packets, etc.
>

> If we let always possible to discover the presence of a proxy by the
> client... and the client realize that dropping/delaying packets is much
> higher
> when there is that proxy in between ... it is just a matter of the time
> and the market will decide

The market is efficient only when there are numerous choices and the
barrier to entry is low. That isn't true for things like this. The
endpoints currently have no choice about whether or not some portion of the
network is deploying what hardware/software, and often there is only once
choice of vendor. The only real choices clients/servers have is what the
bytes look like when they're sent.

>   In any case, if you're doing the work of signing, why not just encrypt?
>
> because you can still use all the positive aspects of the proxy/cache

You wouldn't be able to do that with a signed stream either without
allowing for proxies to do arbitrary transformations, at which point we're
back to where we are today in terms of reliability. These things are 100%
competitive with each other-- you can't both require signed data and
require not signed data!

I'd rather see explicitly configured proxies for this kind of thing-- then
the consumers are making the choice and can decide to not use it if it
doesn't provide a benefit (if the providers block encrypted traffic then
then only offer insecure traffic, which would not be tolerated in most
non-completely-backwards jurisdictions and entities).

-=R