Re: Mandatory encryption *is* theater

On 8/25/13 10:18 PM, Roberto Peon wrote:
> We've seen that the network delays bytes on some ports because (we
> assume) of inspecting proxies, even when the data is incomprehensible
> to the proxy.
maybe I am naif but the delay can be just because the proxies (lets just
talk of HTTP here) expect HTTP traffic and they get confuse when they
see something else

> If the bytes are merely signed then the bytes are visible and
> modification is still performed-- the modification becomes
> time-domain, e.g. dropping/delaying packets, etc.

If we let always possible to discover the presence of a proxy by the
client... and the client realize that dropping/delaying packets is much
higher
when there is that proxy in between ... it is just a matter of the time
and the market will decide

> In any case, if you're doing the work of signing, why not just encrypt?
because you can still use all the positive aspects of the proxy/cache

/Salvatore