Re: Applicability of new status code "4xx Credentials expired"?

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 18:52:26 +0100
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 11 August 2013 06:58, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
> I’m trying to think of a scenario in which you were granted a token and
> subsequently got a 401 that is *not* an expiry.

... AND the difference was worth knowing about in some automated fashion.

A lot of these cases I can imagine are related to some sort of
credential revocation.  In those cases, manual intervention (running
the login scenario again) seems OK, which gives all sorts of
application-context-specific opportunities for providing any necessary
extra information.