Re: MUST use normative language (Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2 feedback)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:32:20 +1200
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 1/08/2013 7:31 p.m., Eliot Lear wrote:
> Julian,
>

>> The problem that I have with this "MAY" is that it states something
>> obvious; we have a flow control feature, and a party in the data flow
>> can invoke it. Why is there a "MAY" here?
> I had assumed that it wasn't obvious to everyone.  This particular MAY
> seems more intended toward the sender rather than the receiver.  But
> just as I said don't contort to avoid language, liberal sprinklings of
> MAY area also unnecessary.
>
> Eliot

Obvious is not always so for everybody. Being very strict is one of the
things we seemed to have a minor vote consensus for earlier this week.
This MAY is fully inline with that preference toward strictness. It
reinforces that earlier MUST on recipients.

I am for keeping it for now. It can always be reevaluated later.

Amos