Re: HTTP/2 Header Encoding Status Update

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Scott Schmit <i.grok@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:16:16PM -0800, James M Snell wrote:
> > Numeric values:
> >
> >   1. Numeric values are encoded as variable-length, unsigned integers.
> "Big-endian" or "little-endian"?
>
> I've seen some references which state that the MSBs go first, others
> that say the LSBs go first. (Wikipedia led me down the MSB path, which
> confused me at first.  Google's protocol buffers does LSBs first.)

​LSB.. I'm currently following the same scheme as protobufs but that's not
set in stone.

> Based on your date example, it appears you're doing LSBs first (though
> the date example appears skewed by 123 seconds?).

​Shouldn't be, I'll double check.

You'll need to define the uvarint format -- a search for "unsigned
> variable-length integers" comes up with a number of very different
> encodings--not that they all call themselves "uvarint" but still...
>
> I assume that the uvarint length will be capped in some way?  Is that
> per-field or is there an overall cap?

​64-bit integers encode with a maximum of 10-bytes. If you run that out
you'll see that it gives us *plenty* of time ;-)