Re: A mechanism to encode HTTP version information in DNS

On 18/02/2013 11:05 a.m., Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com
> <mailto:adrien@qbik.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've always thought one of the issues with SRV is the transport is
>     in the wrong part - the name, so you can't specify that with the
>     result.
>     For something new, we should look at putting the transport into
>     the RR data instead of the name
>     then it makes it possible to deploy over multiple transports later
>     on, e.g. SCTP, UDP whatever if desired.
>

> That is exactly what the URI RR does, the target is a URI which can of
> course specify a new scheme.
>
> I think it best to treat _http._tcp as simply a code point
> corresponding to the http URI scheme and the _tcp part as just a default..
>
> If you wanted to specify a different transport then you would either
> specify a different scheme or you would specify it as a discovery
> parameter for that scheme.

Or since HTTP is effectively a transport in these respects we have _http
defined alongside _tcp, and make the under-layer transport an option in
URI RR

   _http.example.com <http://tcp.example.com>  URI 10 10
"http://www1.example.com/ TCP HTTP/2.0"

With default option for under-layer being TCP when no other is mentioned
specifically.

Amos