Re: A mechanism to encode HTTP version information in DNS

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> I've always thought one of the issues with SRV is the transport is in the
> wrong part - the name, so you can't specify that with the result.
>
> For something new, we should look at putting the transport into the RR
> data instead of the name
>
> then it makes it possible to deploy over multiple transports later on,
> e.g. SCTP, UDP whatever if desired.

That is exactly what the URI RR does, the target is a URI which can of
course specify a new scheme.

I think it best to treat _http._tcp as simply a code point corresponding to
the http URI scheme and the _tcp part as just a default..

If you wanted to specify a different transport then you would either
specify a different scheme or you would specify it as a discovery parameter
for that scheme.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/