Re: Some general thought on CRIME and Compression and Headers

--------
In message <6D66A12F-6B70-4CD5-9CB1-D24ED597B1C6@free.fr>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E9d=E9ric_Kayser?= writes:

>gzip/deflate streams are made of different types of blocks cf. RFC 1951
>http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1951.txt (btype 0 is non compressed - fixed
>length-, btype 1 uses predefined Huffman tables, and btype 2 embeds
>Huffman tables specially tailored for the current data). The stream
>could switch to btype 0 when sensitive data has to be compressed, and
>afterwards this region could be excluded from LZ matches to avoid reuse,
>the resulting stream would be perfectly compatible with current Deflate
>decoders implementations.

I spent quite some time hacking code to do interesting things
with gzip blocks (ESI support on gzip'ed objects if you must know).

While technically feasible, I would not recommend requiring
mainstream implementations to deal with "naked" GZIP blocks, in
particular since debugging compressed streams is not even close to
fun for anybody.