Re: Some general thought on CRIME and Compression and Headers

The hard part of any such schemes is determining what is sensitive,
especially in the face of any future semantic/header changes. So, be
careful :)

SPDY as deployed today uses the fact that we have a good idea today about
what is sensitive, that we'll be throwing it out soon, and it only allows
gzip to compress something IFF it is not sensitive, or, if sensitive, IFF
the entire sensitive atom matches the previous sensitive atom.
This is, in effect, what is being proposed here.

One other thing... The delta encoder which was proposed here does not
strive for the best possible compression. If it did, I wouldn't leave bits
on the floor by doing byte alignment!
Rather, it is meant to be a compromise, giving excellent compression
(especially if/when we adapt to the idea that *change* causes an increase
in bytes on the wire), but also allowing proxies to do minimal redundant
work (of recompression/reencoding) etc.

If we're willing to throw more CPU at the problem (currently delta is 3x
more efficient than gzip in terms of CPU, not even counting proxies) I know
from experimental data we can get better compression ratios :)
-=R