Re: HTTPS, proxying, and all that...

On 01/11/2013 08:24 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
>
>> The problem you have IMO is that you're posing a requirement
>> that's beyond the state of the art at least.
>
> There is nothing "state of the art" about mixing p2p and e2e
> trust and security, PTT's and banks have been doing it for
> centuries.

Feel free to post details. I at least don't know what
you mean.

(I'm also not aware of how 16th century PTT's operated
to be honest. RFC 1149 perhaps?:-)

> The problem the HTTPbis effort has, is that it's trying to
> improve on one of the worlds most popular and used protocols[1].
>
> Addressing some of its actual user-perceived shortcomings would
> be a very smart move from a marketing point of view.

Yes, but this isn't a marketing exercise.

If you're moving from impossible-to-meet requirements
towards marketing, may I suggest you're heading in the wrong
direction?

S.