Re: WGLC: p4, 304 Not Modified

Hi Ken,

I re-opened this issue as a result:
  http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/345

We didn't add Last-Modified (or rather, we added it and then took it out) because doing so would make some existant implementations non-conformant, and there isn't a clear win in interop or security by doing so.

Also, ETag is used by caches to help differentiate the selected response, when multiple etags are sent in If-None-Match.

That said, it's a good question as to why some things are required to be returned when they haven't changed, as this *does* represent a change from 2616; hence, the reopened issue.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/