Re: Charter revision

On 11/02/2012 12:26 a.m., Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Julian Reschke writes:
>> On 2012-02-10 12:14, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> In particular there was no mention of formalizing the semantics/transport
>>> split that gave me an indication that this was to even be a, and
>>> certainly not *the*, major goal.
>> Actually, it is already a goal for HTTPbis; Parts 2..7 should be
>> independent of transport.
> Yes, and that is a good and nice first step.  But we need to
> define the transport primitives to make that a usable reality.

Julians point AIUI being that the line is already drawn, the transport
fields already separated. If you disagree on what has been split off
that would be an issue with the bis drafts work.

The charter texts just point loosely at which parts are applicable for
further upgrades in the next cycle of work, and what the goal for fixing
them should be. The part defining transport syntax (part 1, maybe part
2) and making it more reliable+faster. In the other parts we could
change symbol names and maybe remove ABNF special casings, but that is all.

>> I would be surprised if they care about technical details like that :-)
> You would be surprised if you had any idea how starved they are for
> anything at all to publish a story on with a big headline.

If only 2.0 had been used instead of 1.1. We could be presenting them
with "engineers plan Web3.0 revolution" ;) . [that is pretty much what
will go to print anyway]

AYJ