Re: Review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-19.txt

On 09.05.2012 08:02, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Hi,
> Another late review:

<snip>

> 5.2.  Content-Range
>
>      byte-range-resp-spec    = (first-byte-pos "-" last-byte-pos)
>                              / "*"
>
>      instance-length         = 1*DIGIT
>
> Are leading zeroes allowed? (I.e. would an implementation that just
> treat these values as strings be Ok?) But more importantly:
>  Is there a maximum limit on this value? Is 128bit unsigned value Ok?
>  Is there a minimum size any implementation need to support? Is 8bit
> Ok?

That is implementation specific detail. Pick your limit and if the
range value exceeds it they could still be perfectly valid, just relay
without local handling. HTTP does not have to impose any restrictions
here.

For example, there are range requests floating around the Internet for
TB and PB sized objects. But systems with local 32-bit limits are still
able to relay them when implemented correctly.

AYJ