Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:

> The idea is just a partial solution to the HOL blocking problem that at
> least decreases the likelihood that HOL issue will block high priority
> objects. I don't yet know the SPDY protocol well enough but the idea is
> that you would have two SPDY streams running over two TCP

I suggest you read up on SPDY a bit more first and come back. It may save a
lot of people time in explaining things :) At the minimum, read up on SPDY
sessions and streams (
http://willchan.github.com/SPDY-Specification/draft-mbelshe-spdy-00.html#rfc.section.2.1
).

connections. Anything that the browser deems as blocking page load, or for
> another reason high priority, will go over one SPDY stream and everything
> else will go over the other.

I think you mean using two SPDY sessions over separate TCP connections.
There's nothing in the SPDY specification which says you can't use multiple
connections, and that's up to the user-agent. That said, there are
downsides to doing so. I think we've already discussed many of the reasons
we want to use fewer connections previously, so I won't belabor those
points. I think the reason you bring up multiple connections is to work
around problems in the transport, which is why I think long-term we should
fix the transport layer too. It may be the case that a better client use of
SPDY would be to open two connections instead of a single one, but I would
push back very strongly against that in Chromium and only do it if we found
it was truly necessary.

> I agree that a UDP-based transport that supports out of order packets
> would completely solve HOL blocking for SPDY. My misunderstanding was that
> SCTP was such a transport but Mike set me straight. In any case, there are
> no obvious candidates for this so I agree we can't really design for it.
>
> Still I think we should support inter-object dependencies only if there's
> a real benefit, which I believe there is in the upstream but not so sure in
> the downstream, as compared to simply going binary.
>
> Peter
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:25 AM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Peter L <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the explanation on SCTP -- I have only a high level
>>> understanding and based on what you said I can't even claim that.
>>>
>>> In general, the in-flight HOL blocking problem is really serious for
>>> long fat networks: some mobile, intercontinental, satellite to name a few.
>>> So I'd like for HTTP 2.0 to at least hold the promise that it will be
>>> addressed. For instance, I proposed two SPDY streams, one high and one low
>>> priority. This would at least prevent low pri drops from blocking high pri