Re: options or protocols?

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> On 5/04/2012 11:29 p.m., Willy Tarreau wrote:
>
>> That's what I'd really like to see happen : a smooth and transparent
>> opening of 2.0. Probably that for HTTPS, NPN might result in a faster
>> adoption since there are less controls, so that will not change anything
>> for admins : either they already block and will continue to do so, or they
>> already don't care and wont either.
>>

> I think a lot of the sites that allow 443 through are growing more and
> more uncomfortable with it.  So it's likely to change, esp as traffic
> migrates to https.
>
> Therefore I wouldn't assume things will remain the way they currently are
> - in terms of people allowing or not caring.
>
> I think the "smooth" upgrade path might take aeons :)
>
> It would be interesting if it were possible to do an experiment using
> another port.  Google would be in a position to test that :)

Do you mean like we did for the WebSocket experiment over port 61985? See
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg05593.html.

I'm already having a lot of discussions internally at Google with various
folks about experiments we can run to provide data here. If you have any
suggestions, I'm open to implementing them.