Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

On 02/04/2012 22:59, Roberto Peon wrote:

>     These are people who can hardly use a mouse you're trying to get
>     them to set up proxy config in their browser?
>

> I'm familiar with these kinds of people and working with them. I'd
> imagine that the ISP would give them an installer which would find and
> set config for these programs without the user having to do it
> themselves or something similarly easy.

Probably, but if proxy information could be added into DHCP, DNS or
similar, isn't that going to be a lot more straight-forward than
everyone having to provide their own installers through a separate
distribution channel?

If a proxy can intercept secure traffic, that needs to be made really
clear to the user (especially in cases such as those "FREE INTERNET!!!"
ad-hoc networks that turn up in airports and similar), but that's
presumably something for the browser peeps to figure out.