Re: #160: Redirects and non-GET methods

On 18/07/11 19:05, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2011-07-18 04:21, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> This MSIE handling of 301 is a big problem in some installations. To the
>> point that they are migrating their customers away from MSIE just to get
>> the Firefox/Chrome behaviour.
>
> How so? Why don't they fix their sites? Details, please.

301 - Portals enforcing policy of no unencrypted content past the border
and bouncing the http:// requests to https:// at the gateway.
  They require all inbound http:// get redirected to https:// without
bothering the user. Method remaining unchanged through the redirect. 301
is perfect here, as the domain is fixed and all http:// URLs are
permanently redirected to their https:// exact equivalents. For MSIE
this only works on POST.

307 - Portals doing policy agreements and splash pages. They require at
minimum an arbitrary page of content to be visible to the user
regardless of whether the request first made was a GET, CONNECT, POST
etc. 307 seems to fit best until the 428 starts working on all requests.
Preserving the method is important here.

3 months ago when I last saw this needed only Firefox and Chrome were
doing 307 right. This is the first I've seen with MSIE on the good list
there.

>>> All that said, GET and POST are vastly more common for browsers to
>>> handle than other methods. Having reasonable requirements for GET and
>>> POST would be a welcome step forward.
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> Even just idempotent / non-idempotent separation would be great. That
>> also leaves it open for consistency with future methods.
>
> That doesn't work, as given a new method name, you don't know whether
> it's idempotent or not.

Thats one of the things the new drafts require them to indicate now,
with unknowns treated as non-idempotent by default. yes?

AYJ