Re: Issue 141: "should we have an auth scheme registry"

On 15.09.2010 17:50, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> SASL has an auth scheme registry
> (<http://www.iana.org/assignments/sasl-mechanisms>). We can probably
> model ours after that (possibly adjusting if there are known problems
> with the SASL one). One thing the SASL registry has is the "Usage"

You mean:

   Intended usage: (One of COMMON, LIMITED USE, or OBSOLETE)

? I can see that this might be useful, but in that case we should
consider that for all of our registries...

> column which I think we definitely should adopt. Also, the possibility
> of registering a "family" of schemes through use of a wildcard
> indicator, e.g. "GS2-*" used in SASL.

I'm not convinced this is needed; after all, we haven't had a registry
up until now.

SASL has a different registration requirements for single names and
family of names; when you register a family of names you essentially
delegate a part of the space of names to another spec -- do we really
want that?

Best regards, Julian