Re: New issue: p5-range 5.4.2, proxy recommendations regarding 200 responses to Range

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Henrik Nordström wrote:

> fre 2010-07-23 klockan 08:58 -0400 skrev Yves Lafon:
>
>> I don't see why it would be a MAY for a proxy and a SHOULD for a server,
>> it seems better to keep them both as SHOULDs.
>
> Because a SHOULD means it's the recommended method, and as shown in this
> case it's not a good general purpose recommendation.
>
> The optimization to have proxies reduce the traffic sent to the
> requestor by eating the unwanted parts of the response when the server
> responds with more data than requested should imho be a MAY, not a
> SHOULD.
>
> For a server the situation is different as it has control over the
> requested resource.

Ok, I was looking at this from the UA point of view where the fact that
you are talking to a server or a proxy shouldn't matter much, but I see
your point on requirements on proxies and control over the resource.
So +1 on the proposed change.

         ~~Yves