effective request URI/target URI, issues 221 & 222, was: Issues addressed by the -10 drafts

On 22.07.2010 23:13, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 5:56 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> #196 Term for the requested resource's URI (editorial)*
>
> BTW, I have been trying to work with this phrase
> (the Effective Request URI) in my edits and have found it
> cumbersome and painful to read -- it tends to obscure
> whatever else is in the same sentence.
>
> Is there some reason we can't just call it the target URI?

I think we *can* call them "target URI". The reason we picked "Effective
Request URI" is that we stole it from Jeff's STS spec, and I found the
term made it clear that this is something that may need to be computed
from various bits on the wire.

If we change it, of course STS should follow that change.

That being said, there are a few things left to do, no matter how we
call it:

1) There's currently some overlap between 4.2
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-latest.html#the.resource.identified.by.a.request>
and 4.3
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-latest.html#effective.request.uri>).
Maybe that should be reduced?

2) Does eURI/target URI need to handle the case of HTTP/1.0 requests
without Host header?
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/221>)

3) Is the current strategy of handling the request-target of "*" the
right one? (<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/222>)

Best regards, Julian