RE: I-D Submission: draft-lee-httpext-metadata-00.txt

Thanks for your comment, Michael.
In addition to your comments, it would greatly help web servers reduce
their maintenance cost for service infrastructure. It may reduce network
traffic to back-end servers, require less storage since it does not store
meta-data in another separate document, and simplify publishing and
maintaining of web resource. It relies on web resource itself for meta-
data, and dynamically extracts meta-data on demand. There is the
possibility that CPU load of web server would increase to process such meta-
data extraction, but memory cache could compensate the load.

Semantically, it's similar to range-unit and content-range header in HTTP/1.
1, which allows client to request that only a range of the response entity
be included within the response. In case of this proposal, request-meta
header allows client to request that only a meta-data of the target
resource be included within the response.

I think the property (or meta-data) of an object (or web resource) is a
part of the object (or web resource). For example, an apple is laid down in
a showcase and I'd like to decide whether I'll buy it. I don't need to grab
the apple directly if I could know its color, smell, sweetness, and
freshness. Pick-out to grab and push-back to the showcase is more
inconvenient. An equipment which monitors the property of the apple can
tell me about the apple if I push a button, and I'm proposing such button
pushing protocol to operate web server to respond with resource meta-data.

Regards,
Moon-Sang Lee

---
Moon-Sang Lee, Senior Engineer, Ph.D.
Convergence Software Lab., Digital Media & Communication R&D Center,
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.,
TEL: +82-31-279-8082
Email: sang0627.lee@samsung.com
Wisdom begins in wonder. *Socrates*