Re: header parsing, trailing OWS

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the current edits, the last 'MAY' is a 'SHOULD', which makes it read
>
> "A field value MAY be preceded by optional whitespace (OWS); a single SP is
> preferred. The field value does not include any leading or trailing white
> space: OWS occurring before the first non-whitespace character of the field
> value or after the last non-whitespace character of the field value is
> ignored and SHOULD be removed without changing the meaning of the header
> field."

Doesn't read smoothly .... and infact turns into a directive rather than a
permission.

One alternate to illustrate my point ...
    "SHOULD be removed" --> "SHOULD be able to"
another ... replace the remainder after "the field value is ignored and"
with:
     "removing OWS before or after the field value SHOULD NOT change the
      meaning of the header field."