Re: Input on request for link relation [ w/ proposed modifications to link draft ]

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Brett Slatkin <brett@haxor.com> wrote:

> The whole point of PubSubHubbub is to be an open protocol, free of
> patents, that anyone can use. We're going to release it under the
> license coming out of the Open Web Foundation
> (http://openwebfoundation.org/) once that's ready (I hear drafts are
> very far along).

Then it sounds like my objection will be moot, once the license is
ready. It is only my objection--the IETF is totally patent agnostic.
Perhaps you can get enough support anyway. The technical bits seem
reasonable, and the SIP thing looks like a sideshow to me. :)

> It's obvious that any patent on this technology is invalid

It's not prudent to assume that obviousness will stop the patent
process, unfortunately.

> I find it frustrating that you're lumping me, Brad, Martin, and this
> spec together with some patent we had nothing to do with. We're trying
> to do good here and help the web. I'd appreciate it if you could
> recognize the level of effort we're putting into this, into being
> open, and into reaching a consensus.

It's not personal--I don't think you guys have anything to do with
filing patents. However, I want a Web free from the toxic legal
environment that plagues other parts of the IETF and standards bodies
in general. That environment stifles innovation and privileges the
status quo. If the OWF turns out well, then there is no objection from
me. It's too bad that IPR behavior in this space has forced me to side
with those making what I think are otherwise unfair criticisms.

--

Robert Sayre